PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, March 2, 2015

Hand-stitched Sequined Rose Scarf Tutorial {For Child or Adult}





  I have seen a few rose scarves floating around lately, so I decided to give my own version of this adorable scarf a try. I made a red one for myself and made another for my niece. :) Since she is all about fashion and accessorizing, I wanted to make her scarf really fun! I made it multicolored {I used fuschia, peacock blue, glitter purple, glitter white, and bright lime green} and then added a few matching sequins to each rose. 


Materials needed:
Felt 
needle
matching thread
scissors
**Optional: sequins, clear thread


  First, make your Felt Roses. You can see the tutorial that I just recently posted for the roses here. When I made the red scarf, I made 13 flowers. I made 12 roses, just slightly smaller, for this scarf I made for Anna Grace. It is all about the personal preference of how long you want your scarf to be. 


These are the roses from the tutorial, not this particular scarf. 


  
  After you finish making the roses, cut out a piece of matching felt or felted wool for the actual length of the scarf. For the adult scarf I used a 45 by 4 inch piece, for the child scarf, I cut my piece of felt to 36 by 3 inches. 
**I actually tried using some fleece when I made the red scarf and failed miserably. After sewing the roses to the fleece, it was entirely too stretchy for his scarf and just didn't look very pretty. Fleece would probably work okay if you doubled it and used fusible interfacing to prevent it from being so stretchy. 



Cut scallops out on each side, the entire length of the scarf. 
This photo was taken after the scarf was completed, I just want you to see the scallops that have been cut out of the main piece. 




  Then place your roses where you would like them positioned on the scarf. You can go ahead and pen them for the entire length or just position and sew one at a time like I did. 


Sew a circle around through beginning from back to front. Only sew through the bottom layer of the scarf. 

                  Be sure to tie off each circle at the end to secure it. 

This is what mine looked like after I finished attaching all of the roses. I just love it here, but decided to add a little extra flare by adding a few matching sequins! :)




I simply attached the sequins using a needle and clear thread. I will share a more detailed tutorial for attaching sequins next week, so be sure to stop back by! If you decide to make one of these adorable scarves, please let me know! I would love to see pics! :)

This is the red scarf I made! Excuse the photo quality of the first pic, when I took it, I had forgotten to take the clear layer off of the camera lense on my iPhone! ;)
 



I hope y'all have a wonderful day! XOXO!




Linking at these parties:

Tip Junkie handmade projects

4 comments: