PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Classic French Toast & How to Freeze to Enjoy Later

  
 One of the very first recipes I ever learned to make as a child was French Toast. I was instantly hooked, and I absolutely love it to this day! It is such a great dish! You get your protein and dairy from the milk and eggs, and whole grain and fiber from your bread (if you use whole grain bread like I do). It can be as healthy or as unhealthy as you choose, depending on what toppings you choose :) And it is SO very easy to make!
This is what you need:

3/4 c milk
2 eggs, 1 egg white (you can use 2 eggs if you wish, I just use 1 whole and one egg white to cut down on cholesterol and fat)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp imitation butter flavoring (this is optional, as is the vanilla, they just give it a richer flavor, especially if you use cooking spray instead of butter on your skillet)
4-6 slices of whole grain bread (you can also use hamburger or hot dogs buns)
**Sometimes I choose to add a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the batter instead of adding syrup.
  
 Place all ingredients, other than bread, into a bowl and beat well.

Dip each side of your bread into the batter. Don't leave it sitting in there too long or it will get all soggy-ish and try to fall apart before you even get it to the pan.

   Heat your skillet to medium heat. I am actually using a wonderful griddle, because i am in dire need of some new pots and pans! Their non-stick feature just doesn't work as well as it used to and this griddle absolutely does the trick! :) Spray your skillet, griddle, whatever you are using with nonstick cooking spray. You can toss some butter or margarine if you like! Being awful as I am at making simple decisions, today I just used both. :)
   Cook over medium heat until browned on both sides. This will just take a few minutes for each side. Be sure not to turn your heat up too high or the outside will burn and the inside will still not be completely cooked.
   Oh my goodness, I wish you could smell this sweet goodness right now! I promise you will not want to share! :)

Serve warm with syrup.

To freeze: Place freshly cooked french toast (which has been cooked all of the way) on waxed paper lined baking pans/cookie sheets and put in the freezer. When frozen, remove from sheets and place in gallon sized zipper bags. Store in freezer. When ready to serve, put each slice in toaster and run for two cycles, or until completely heated and crispy again.


2 comments:

  1. Amazing! I didnt know you could freeze french toast like that! I MUST TRY THIS!! My kids will be forever greatful to you!LOL! In the mornings I am in such a rush for work, we eat oatmeal. EV-ER-Y MORINING! Maybe if I give this a try on the weekend (make a whole bunch and then freeze it) I can pull it out during the work week.

    thanks for the tip.
    -M-
    michelletherib.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There I am your newest follower and appreciate that you are following mine. Check out my others at orhttp://livelaughlovetocook.blogspot.com
    Thanks have a great day!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete