PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Framed Chalkboard with Chalk Holder~$1


When I saw this picture at a yard sale the other day, I knew it would be the perfect size for the chalkboard I have been wanting to make for my kitchen. When I heard the awesome price of $1, I bought it, of course.

   Initially, I was going to paint the frame white, so I used newspaper to cover the glass and started to clean the frame to prep for painting it. It was then, that I realized what a beautiful frame it actually is! It was covered in so much dust, that I had no idea. The light gold-pewter color was perfect, not too brassy looking, just perfect! So, I finished cleaning my frame and removed all of the newspaper that was covering the glass. I then took some Glad Press 'n Seal Plastic wrap, and used this to cover the frame.

   I painted 2 coats (letting the first dry before applying the second) of Krylon Chalkboard spray paint. I happened to already have this onhand from a previous project, so it wasn't an expense. :)
  I knew I wanted something to hold a piece of chalk, because what is the point of having a convenient chalkboard, without also having chalk right there handy? I decided to cut about a 3 inch piece of ribbon to use for this. I then took some velcro dots and applied one on each end on opposite sides of the ribbon, so that I could wrap the ribbon aroung the chalk. The velcro isn't absolutely necessary, but it does help to hold the chalk a little more securely.


 At this point I simply used my hot glue gun to attach this to my frame, and that's it! Now, I have an fabulous new chalkboard in my kitchen for the whopping cost of $1! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi I am a new follower! It looks great. I keep wanting to do one but I never take the plunge. For a dollar though I think I would actually give it a go. I look forward to catching up on your posts and hope you will check out my blog and follow :)

    http://thatsawrapconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm being a total dumb wit here...did you spray paint the glass with chalkboard paint? Or did you take the glass out and paint the board at the back? I bought a picture (not a nice one) in a lovely frame to make a chalkboard for my kitchen but I've been trying to find some wood the right size to spray... if you can spray paint the glass then all my problems have been solved ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you for sharing! You had just made my life a little easier with the idea to hold the chalk.

    ReplyDelete