PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, May 13, 2011

<$2 Painted Chevron Dropcloth Rug



 
   With the Chevron trend EVERYWHERE, I have been wanting to "Chevron" something really badly! I have a brand new huge drop cloth I have been anxious to use, also! I decided to combine the 2 and create a new rug!


1. I decided what size I wanted my rug to be, about 32" by 21", and cut out a piece of drop cloth this size. I actually added about an extra half inch on the sides that would need to be hemmed.

2. I hemmed one end and one side. That is one wonderful thing about using dropcloth material is that it comes already hemmed. This is a wonderful feature when using it for curtains. I used my sewing machine to hem the edges I had cut, but you can use Heat Bond hem tape if you don't sew. Before hemming I ironed it really well and pinned the edges.

 
3.The next step was a little tricky at first, but not bad at all once I got started. I used the 2 inch wide masking tape to tape off my pattern. I must admit, I was scared of this part at first. I searched for chevron patterns that I could print and then use to trace with freezer paper. I found one website that gave measurements to cut out sizes of freezer paper. I finally realized that using my ruler and protractor would be the easiest way to create my pattern. Once I taped my first row, the rest way SO easy. I just made sure to use the same angles and lengths of tape strips. I cut my tape into appriximately 3 3/4" and 5 5/8" inch strips. My Chevron angle was about 95 degrees.  I repeated this pattern until I had the entire rug taped and ready to paint. Trust me, there is NO need to stress over this part like I did. It was such a breeze! :)


4. Finally, it was time to paint my new rug! I used my awesome little Valspar paint sample, so the paint didn't cost me a dime! The color I used is Weathered glass- beautiful color, by the way! I laid a trash bag underneath my rug before I started painting, just in case any paint went through. I used a sponge paint brush and began "sponging away."


5. After my paint was dry, I decided I wanted my rug to be softer and more "spa-like." I cut out a towel just slightly smaller than the rug and sewed it onto the bottom. The difference this made is amazing! I also painted a coat of spray polyurethane. I used shelf liner, the foam kind that keeps your dishes from sliding, to prevent the rug from sliding out of place.


    After creating this gorgeous Chevron rug, I definitely want to make another larger one (actually a couple)! I want to "Chevron" everything now, haha. I am so excited! :) I hope you all love my thrifty new rug as much as I do! :) Total cost for this was MAYBE $2, and that is just estimating the cost of the drop cloth with the small amount that I actually had to use for this project! If you decide to make one for yourself, please share pics! I would love to see them!


 
I will be linking here:
Tidy Mom
and at many more linky parties listed on my right sidebar! :)



11 comments:

  1. I made one the other day and posted it to FJI just now :) And of course had to come and see what you'd done as well. I'm so trying to find a way to make them softer without loosing the "kid proofing". I'm also making another one (non-chevron) for our living room but we want that one to feel softer. The towel idea is great for smaller sizes but it wouldn't work for our living room. Sorry about the ramblings :) Just funny that we posted almost identical projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'd like to invite you to post it on Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week, I hope you can join in. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very creative....I made myself a rug with fabric and a drop cloth....I'd love for you to share this at my party.
    Simply Creations Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! The fact that all you needed was tape to make the chevron pattern is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the chevron pattern. Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing at my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever, love the colour combo. Found you at DIY by Design. Looking forward to linking up with you.
    Jen
    www.shimi.com.au
    http://shimistore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. CUTE!!! Chevron is SUPER popular right now! Way to be on trend girl!!! Thanks for sharing this on Fancy This Fridays!! Hope you'll stop by on Monday to see if you are a giveaway winner, featured post, or BOTH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh love it! The chevron...the colors...great job!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete