PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thrifty Decorative Desk Organizer

  

  I don't know about you all, but one of my main goals for 2012 is to become more organized. Today I am sharing with you a super easy and inexpensive way to add a little organization to your desk, command center, vanity, etc. These little cans are perfect for storing anything from pencils to loose change to hair clips. They would also be perfect teacher gifts! You could even use V-day scrapbooking paper, add some candy and make some fun gifts for Valentine's Day! :)


Materials Needed:
Canned goods can, I used some old green bean cans and just washed and dried them well


Mod Podge (You can also mix Elmer's Glue and water for this project if you don't have Mod Podge)


Scrapbook Paper... you can also use fabric scraps or even pretty gift wrap paper


Paintbrush


Any trim or embellishments you want to add. I used sequin trim. You may also want to add ric rac, buttons, glitter, ribbon... use your imagination. This would be a fun project to do with the kiddos and let them help you decorate! 




How to:


Remove label, wash and dry the can. 






Cut your scrapbook paper to the appropriate size to wrap all the way around the can. 


Using the paint brush, begin "painting" the Mod Podge onto the can. Wrap the paper around as you go. Rub any bubbles out and make sure it is smooth. After I got mine started, I found that it worked out a little better to apply the Mod Podge to the actual paper instead of the can. If the can doesn't have ridges like the ones I used, I don't think this should matter. 







You can seal it by adding a coat of Mod Podge over the top of the paper. 
                                Don't worry, this will dry clear. :) 






  After all of your Mod Podge is completely dry (I let mine dry overnight), add any other embellishments you want to add. I used my hot glue gun and added sequin trim around the top. 


Isn't is amazing the difference a little Mod Podge and creativity can make? Unfortunately, I am not am organized person by mature. If you are creative, there is a pretty good chance you can relate! :) There is just way too much going on inside my head sometime to focus on organizing! ;) I fully intend to use my creativity to help me become organized this year! Lots more fun & creative organization projects to come! ;)








9 comments:

  1. Mod podge is definitely a crafters best friend. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the paper you chose. They look great together there on your desk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I was just washing out some salsa jars and wondering what in the world I could do with them...and then bam! I read this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, I used that same scrapbook paper (the red one) for my family rules project! Ahh, great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good idea i think i might do that thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this looks better than my cup on the counter with all my pens. I am just going to have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, your gonna make me a hoarder! Love finding a new blog to follow with the new Linky tool. Follow back so we can stay connected, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute. I’d love for you to come link this post up at From Scratch Friday (live now on the blog!).

    ~Christina
    http://marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com/2012/02/from-scratch-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete