PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mother's Nest Brooch

  
   After I made the Robin's Nest Hair Pin the other day, my mother called me and she was absolutely in love with it! She was so tickled to have even recieved phone calls fom her friends who had seen the post. Since she loved it so much, I decided to make her a beautiful bird's nest brooch for Easter! I think it will look so lovely on her at church on Easter Sunday, if I do say so myself!;) I will definitely be making one for myself, as well! This is also a wonderful gift for Mothers Day! You can represent the number of children your mother has with your eggs! :)
I basically made this brooch the same way I made the nest for my hairpin. You can see that tutorial here. I simply made it much larger.
These are the materials I used:
  • 18 gauge tin copper wire
  • beads to use as eggs 
  • glitter, I like the Martha Stewart Extra Fine
  • hot glue gun
  • pliers
  • small piece of felt
  • pin back
 My first step was to take my pliers and grip the ends of the wire. As I held one end, I took my roll of wire and just coiled it around the end my pliers were holding and continued to wrap it around until it got to the size I wanted it to be and looked like a little nest.
   Then, I spritzed it with some brown spray paint and sprinkled on lots of glitter while the paint was still wet. Next time I will use either clear paint o modge instead of brown paint. I love how the brown gives it that "nest" look, but I really wanted this brooch to sparkle and shine. I forgot to take a photo of this step. You can see my hair pin tutorial if you would like an idea of what it will look like at this point.
   After finishing my "nest" and applying the glitter, I cut a small piece of felt and glued it to the back using my hot glue gun. The helped to hold the nest together better, since it was larger this time.
    Next, I glued my pin back to the back onto the felt. Be sure to glue it toward the edge you will want to be the top of you brooch. If now, it will try to flip down. The was a mistake that I had to correct. :)

   Finally, I had to secure my "eggs." I used a small piece of wire to string 4 pearl-like beads and bent it into sort of a square. I left a little wire on each end to twist into the nest. I also had to hot glue it a little. In the places where the glue was visible, I sprinkled some more glitter before it was dry.

   I am so pleased with the final result. It really is beautiful brooch, my camera just does not do it justice. I wish you could see how it sparkles when the light catches it! I hope my mother loves it! :)

13 comments:

  1. Sweet and sparkly! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sparkle! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! and i feel ya on the camera...mine is the same!
    ~Jill from 'Just dream, Jelly Bean!'

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty!!!!! :)

    i'm a new follower from the thursday blog hop! hope you have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw so cute & shiny!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! I know she will love it!
    dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sooo..pretty and shiny! Loved your space.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)
    Have a great day ahead..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom will be so happy to receive this really cute brooch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun, I love that you added glitter to make it sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore this project! I am hosting a Springtime Craft and Project linky party today and I would love it if you would particpate.

    There is a giveaway involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so pretty! I bet your mom loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! I love anything sparkly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crista this is so pretty, what a lovely piece. Thanks for partying with me this week!
    ~Iffy~
    www.stayathomenation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete