PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade {Powdered} Laundry Detergent



  Happy Tuesday, beautiful friends! Today I am sharing with you this super easy recipe for homemade laundry detergent. It takes less than 10 minutes to make it and it works SO well! For the price of one container of store-bought detergent, you can make several batches of homemade!


Here's what you need:
1 cup Borax (about $4)
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda ($3)
1 bar of soap- ($1) I used Fels-Naptha, which is made for laundry stains, but you cause any regular bar of soap (Dove, Ivory, etc.)






Grate your bar of soap. Any grater will do, I just grabbed the first one I happened to come across, which was this box grater.



Then add the Borax and Washing soda. 


Stir it all together for about 5 minutes.


 There you have it! Enough laundry soap to do 64 loads! I put mine in this pretty vintage canister. I caught my mother adding it to her yard sale items a little while back! I just love it and can't believe she was going to get rid of it! 



  Just use 1 tablespoon per load, 2 for a heavily soiled load. I have been using it for several days now and LOVE it! I was afraid it would be harsh for sensitive skin, but it is perfect! I am going to make another batch soon, so that my canister will be full. I may even add some essential oils... I'll let you know! Speaking of essential oils, there might just be an amazing essential oil giveaway coming very soon! ;) Have a wonderful day, lovelies! 

12 comments:

  1. This recipe does work amazing! I've been making my own laundry detergent for a long time and I swear by it! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I might just have to do this because it's so darn expensive for the other stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thank you for sharing! Glad you mentioned essential oil...I've seen lots of laundry soap recipes lately but haven't tried any because I do like nice smells! Will be interested to see how it goes...that's big of me eh? Let you try it first haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this in bulk and added regular baking soda as well, I love it! Have you tried the dish soap yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't find washing soda at my local grocery stores, not even Walmart. Every place I've gone, there's been a big box of baking soda next to the borax. What happens if I use baking soda?? Thanks for any advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just impressed you keep your detergent in such a pretty glass jar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a high efficiency washer? I'd sure hate to flood the laundry/mud room with suds!

    I got washing soda at a family run small grocery chain. Have you tried emailing Arm & Hammer? It's pretty likely they'd help, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i keep seeing various versions of homemade detergent online , i'm kind of tempted to try! hope you have a great weekend! xo

    http://nuhasofiyan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I'm a little skeptical...

    My husband does the shopping in our household. He was buying "cheap" laundry detergent that seemed to work just fine. I bought Costco laundry detergent out of the blue and washed the kids teddy bears. The difference was amazing. My daughters "pink" bear became this muddy pink color from multiple washes with the cheap stuff. With the Costco detergent, Teddy was pink again! I'm not sure I could ever use anything different.

    Mommy Sauri~
    http://casadesauri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete