PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bright and Sassy Houndstooth & Flower Wreath


 Hey there gorgeous friends! Today I am sharing with you a slightly different take on houndstooth. If you have followed me for very long, you probably know that we are HUGE fans of the Alabama Crimson Tide. That is just the beginning of my love for houndstooth. I am always looking for ways to use it all over the house to decorate, without necessarily using a football theme. 
  Well, I have a major case of Spring Fever right now. I have been in a creative rut the for the past few months, probably the winter blues :) Plus, J is feeling a little better lately, so I have had a little more time to work on crafty things. Between that and some pretty weather recently (and the fact that I have been gluten-free for exactly 1 month tomorrow and I feel SO much better!), I feel like I am experiencing creative overload! Finally! I LOVE all of the bright colors that are hot for Spring this year, so I decided to incorporate those colors into a fun new project... I have to tell you, this is probably my favorite project of everything I have ever made! I just love the end result! 
   I apologize, but I don't have step-by-step pics! I'm so sorry! I will explain to you how I made it, and I feel sure that you will understand. :) If not, feel free to ask me any questions you may have! 


Materials used:

  • 14 inch straw wreath {Don't bother removing the plastic wrapping. It will just make a mess and I find that it is much easier to glue the fabric to the plastic than to the straw.}
  • Houndstooth fabric {I THINK it took about a half yard}
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • Felt in a variety of colors
  • scissors
First... Cut your houndstooth fabric into long strips, about 3-4 inches wide. 


Next... Begin wrapping the fabric around the wreath, making sure not to leave  of the straw exposed. As you wrap, glue, using your hot glue gun. Just keep wrapping and gluing, wrapping and gluing. You get the idea. ;)


Now that you have completely covered the wreath with houndstooth, it is time to start making lots of colorful felt flowers! I made these while watching a movie the other night. Not sure how to make the flowers? Go here to see my tutorial for this easy little flower I call the Chloe Rosette


  I made my flowers in a variety of sizes. I am a pretty random person, so I just attached them {with my handy little hot glue gun} to the wreath as I made them. This way, I was able to better see what colors and sizes I needed to make. 
  
Finally, you have a gorgeous new wreath for Spring!  ;) 






  I hope you enjoy your wreath as much as I do! :) If you decide to make one, I would love to see pics!  I think I am also going to make one for my Etsy shop, so if you don't have time to make one, feel free to stop by and I will hook you up with your very own at a very reasonable price! :) Then we could be wreath twinkies! =)) Ok, so, yeah, that was cheesy! Don't you judge! Have a great day! 








Weekend Bloggy Reading
http://www.homestoriesatoz.com/2012/03/tutorials-tips-link-party-51.com
http://www.sugaranddots.com/

37 comments:

  1. This is ADORABLE!!! I love the use of the bright colors in contrast with the black...too cute! Love the flowers too, I need to try to make those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Molly! :) have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I just love this!!! It's so pretty and springy! I want to make one now too lol I'm super glad you and Jeff are starting to feel better!!! Wahoo for the GF lifestyle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute and perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a whole lot of fun all wrapped up in one little wreath! So cute! Would love for you to share it at our link party!

    Take care,

    Trish
    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! The bright flowers against the black and white make a beautiful contrast!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun idea on a old classic like houndstooth

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute. I love the colors.

    Wreaths are my favorite things to make. I have a few featured on my blog. I would love for you to follow my blog so that we can continue to share ideas. :)

    Sarah@
    www.dottedlinecrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crystal!!!!!!!!! Can I have it..... PLEASE??? I'll take very good care of it I promise!! :)

    You better come over to The DIY Dreamer and link this up!
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/2012/03/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cheery colors of the flowers! Your wreath is so bright and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wreath is awesome! Love it! I would love for you to link it up at my party going on now! Hope to see you there!

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it is gorgeous. Love the fun print and colors. I would love for you to share your wreath at my weekly anything goes fri-monday linky. Come strut your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The B&W houndstooth looks so great with the bright colors! Cheery and fun! Oh, and I LOVE the name of your blog. Cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the bright colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the houndstooth and the colors are to die for!! Fabulous:) I would love you to stop by and link this up at my humble little linky party! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great wreath! I love the combo of houndstooth with the bright flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So bright and colorful! I love this wreath:) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love houndstooth! It looks great with the pops of colored flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! I've got some LSU houndstooth I've been trying to figure out what to do with, this would be super cute for football season! Thanks for sharing! I would love for you to stop by and link to my Sew Crafty Saturday Party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. it is a lovely whreat,really colorful

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that it is so colorful- and the houndstooth is very pretty. What a great way to welcome in spring!

    I would love if you would link up to my brand new linky party- Scout's Sweet Sundays!
    http://www.xstitchandcrafts.blogspot.com/2012/03/scouts-sweet-sundays-linky-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super cute! I made a St. Patrick's day wreath using the same type of flowery things: check it out!

    www.everydaywiththejays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE all those bright, fun colors! :) Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! Congrats on being featured :) I would love for you to share this tomorrow at my Link party, Toot Your Horn Tuesday. www.debbiedoescreations.com Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh, you had me at houndstooth!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How fun! We have lots of Alabama fans at work and this would make such a great gift! Stop by and check out my felt wreath I created for YHL's Pinterest Challenge. Roll Tide!

    http://honeysuckleonthevine.blogspot.com/2012/03/pinterest-challenge-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just found your wreath on Pinterest! Love it!!! Please stop by and link it up to our weekly linky party "Cowgirl Up". The party is a linked, linky. So when you post it once, it automatically shows up on 4 awesome blogs! Hope to see you there. http://www.craftytexasgirls.com/2012/03/cowgirl-up-6.html

    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

    ReplyDelete
  27. I too love this wreath! I even a pinned it on my DIY board. Would you mind sharing how yardage of felt to buy for making the flowers?
    Thanks,
    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
  28. I need to try this one that's very nice

    http://stylishijabi.blogspot.com/2012/03/need-modest-swimsuit-for-summer-win-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your pretty wreath!! It's so bright and cheery!! The flowers are just too sweet!
    I featured you today - http://www.flamingotoes.com/2012/03/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-43/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm working on one w/ gray, red and black flowers and adding an A. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've put together a round up of colorful wreath tutorials on Craft Gossip today and included your post. :) You can see it here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/14-colorful-wreaths-you-can-make/

    If you would like a Craft Gossip badge showing you've been featured, you can grab one here :)
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    Thanks for sharing your craftiness!

    ReplyDelete