PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day~ Stephanie from A Blessed Home {Guest Post}

Hey everyone! Happy Memorial Day! Today we have a special guest! I'm so happy to introduce my lovely friend, Stephanie, from A Blessed Home! She has a wonderful post to share with us for Memorial Day!


Memorial Day





Hi, I'm Stephanie Stith from A Blessed Home and I am honored to have been invited to guest post today at Homemaker In Heels. I am so glad I found Crystal and her blog, she is a blessing.


Memorial Day is here again and while it is nice to spend time with family and friends, we must not forget the reason for this holiday. It is a day to remember those brave soldiers who have fought and died for our freedom.

It takes me back to my childhood and the many trips to the cemetery with a flag in hand to remember a soldier in our family whom I had never met but had grown up with stories told me of the sacrifice he had made. His name was Dale and he was a mere boy of 18 years old when he decided to follow in his Father’s footsteps and join the Marines.





The years of his service were 1968-1969, the place was Quang Tri Province, South Vietnam. He was only a few days from his 21st birthday, when an enemy plane
flew overhead and dropped a mortar weapon directly on the spot where Dale and the men were unloading a supply helicopter. Needless to say, there wasn’t much left of him to bury, except a simple dog tag.


Dale Edward Greenwood


Private First Class
H CO, 2ND BN, 3RD MARINES, 3RD MARDIV, III MAF
United States Marine Corps
 April 19, 1948 to March 07, 1969




To some, Memorial Day is just an excuse to get another day off from work, but let’s all make it something more. When doing research for this post, I found my cousin Dale on this site: http://www.virtualwall.org it contains information on soldiers who were in the Vietnam War. This is a great tool to help you find out more information about a loved one who died in the Vietnam War. I was astounded by the amount of information that I found on this site about my own cousin. I also found http://www.cwgc.org/ for those who want to look for soldiers who served in the First and Second World Wars. Don't be afraid to get the kids involved in the search as well, just be sure to make it fun for them.


The price that many men, women, and families have given for our freedom, should never be taken for granted. Use your freedom of religion, freedom of speech (blog), freedom of the press and, every freedom that had been protected for us by the blood of our soldiers.


So, make this a memorable Memorial Day!


"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
                                            John 15:13



Thank you to Crystal/Homemaker In Heels and all of the readers who took time today to read my guest post. Hope you all will stop by and visit me on my blog.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Blessings,
                                                                                Stephanie



Everything you could possible want to find concerning Memorial Day is at:


 “What Heroes Gave
by: Roger J. Robicheau (Sp 5, US Army)
The Poetic Plumber ©2001


Each donned their uniform to be
Defenders of our liberty

Their mission sure, their spirits bright
Guard freedom’s home, be brave to fight

One final day each faced their call
Each gave their best enduring all


We’ll never know what they went through
But know they loved this country true

Deep down inside we should all feel
What heroes gave, their cost so real

We must stay thankful, grateful of
The gift of freedom through their love

Their loved ones bore the gravest pain
What we can’t know, some now sustain

To God I pray their pain will cease
And each will find long-lasting peace

Remember this from year to year
What heroes gave – shan’t disappear


  Thank you SO much for sharing this extra-special post with us today, Stephanie! I really enjoyed it! I hope you will all stop by and visit Stephanie at her wonderful blog, A Blessed Home! She is also one of our newest sponsors, so show her lots of love! I feel certain you will enjoy it as much as I do! Have a great day, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I appreciate it very much.
    Make it a great day!
    Meegan@whatmeeganmkaes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie. Wonderful info. So sorry your cousin was one of the many who lost their lives in the service of their country. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,
    Wonderful post, My family is full of vets, some fallen, some came home, some still serving. We are truely bless by people willing to give their lives for our freedom. Maggie

    ReplyDelete