PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, April 1, 2011

Robin's Nest Hair Pins


  Hey, hey lovely ladies! Right now, I am still trying to maintain a $0 craft budget, and only use things I already have onhand, at least for the most part. I am absolutely in LOVE with the new Robin's nest trend that I'm seeing everywhere in blogland! I have been coming up with several Spring projects I want to do that involve nests. The one I am about to tell you about I think is absolutely adorable for any age! One or 2 of these Robin's Nest Hair pins would be perfect in any girl's Easter basket!

These are the material I used:
  • Bobby pin (the kind I used are from Hobby Lobby and have a little round tab on one end to make is easier to embellish, but a regular bobby pin will be fine, too)
  • 18 gauge tin copper wire
  • beads to use as eggs
  • blue craft paint for the "eggs" (I used FolkArt Deep Ocean Blue)
  • brown spray paint (craft paint will work, too)
  •  glitter
  • hot glue gun
  • pliers
   My first step was to take my pliers and grip the ends of the wire. As I held one end, I took my roll of wire and just coiled it around the end my pliers were holding and continued to wrap it around until it got to the size I wanted it to be and looked like a little nest.


   Next, I took my brown paint and barely sprayed over the nest. While the paint was wet, I sprinkled glitter over it. This gave it a sparkly, silvery-brown color. I wanted to use a little brown, so it would still have the appearance of a bird's nest. The glitter seemed to dress it up a little, and just made it look prettier. :)



   While my little nest was drying, I painted a few beads blue to use as eggs. I used my wire to "string" the beads while I painted them. It made it a little easier. I also sprinkled my "eggs" with just a little glitter. When the light hits them they appear to be speckled like a Robin's egg.
   After all of the paint dried, I glued the beads onto the nest, trying to place the beads so the the holes wouldn't be visible. One hole could still be seen, so I filled it with glue and painted over it.
   Since my nest was complete at this point, I then used my hot glue gun and glued the nest onto the bobby pin. I will be listing a few of these on Etsy soon. Check them out if you want some for your Easter baskets, or for yourself! :) Happy Spring! I can't wait for all of you Lovelies to see the next few Spring projects I am going to share with you all soon!

30 comments:

  1. Cute idea!! I love how sparkly they are too!

    xox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be making those for sure. THey are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hiya crysta , these are just ADORABLE and i think i will make my granddaughter emily a couple for easter , thanks for sharing
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweet and simple idea - turned out so lovely! i'm a birdie & nest fan! xoox, Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea, thanks for the sweet comments on my blog, I am your newest follower,
    Have a great weekend,
    Carlee,
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are SO SO adorable!!! I love that you added the sparkle to them and the little robins eggs are too fun!

    Featuring this on my facebook!

    www.facebook.com/mineforthemaking

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute!!! I am so happy I came across your blog, I love supporting other new bloggers. Thanks for linking up at I (Heart) naptime!

    Visiting from copycatcorner.blogspot.com. Newest follower here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are way cute!!! i love how you put glitter on it! i LOVE glitter!!! thanks for linking it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE IT! I'm your newest follower! CUTE...CUTE...CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, Love, Love it...I want to make one bobby pin, and one a broach. Thanks for the great tut, and to think I actaully have that stuff on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soo cute!!! I made a nest ring the other day super cute stuff

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's too cute! I might make one on a snap clip for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute!!! I'm a new follower and will featuring these on my blog Saturday.
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this Crysta!This is a great way to make these adorable tiny gems!
    xo
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm your newest follower! Found you at the Sew Much Ado link party! I'd love if you swing by and link this awesome hair pin at SewWoodsy.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this is Lovely! Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that is really cute. Thanks for sharing it at my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hair pin is so spring-y and easter-y! Love it. Thanks for sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an adorable idea! I LOVE it!

    Found you thru your link at Fridays Unfolded Stuff and Nonsense. I did a post too, and would love for you to drop by and visit me!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so pretty and I'm so glad you're using what you have on hand!! I think I have everything I need to try these and they will be perfect additions to my twin daughters'(who are 19 and still get an Easter basket!)Easter baskets! Thanks for a great idea and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Wow! These are adorable! I just love them!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  22. very adorable! Definitely making some for my girls baskets. I'm your newest follower, visiting from the Chic & Crafty party. If you have time feel free to stop by & see me

    Thanks!

    Amanda
    sleepytimeproductions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are so CUTE!!! Love that you can spot a trend and then make it work for you!! :) Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. awesome! totally love birdnests!

    www.minnesotajunker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete