PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, September 16, 2011

Falling in Love... with Falling Glitter Leaves!

  Here in the South, the leaves are just beginning to change to the beautiful hues of fall. And with the evening now comes a slight chill to the air. Fall is in the air! Last weekend, I started getting anxious to begin my fall decorating, so I decided to take a walk outside to collect some leaves. 
   With no idea what I was going to use them for, I gathered away, feeling sure that inspiration would strike at any moment! Well, I was right! As some of the beautiful leaves started to fall around me, I began to think what a magical feeling that was. It brought back memories of a simpler time, my childhood, when I would just go outside and play in the autumn leaves for hours, perfectly content. Why can't I enjoy this INSIDE, I wondered... Well, that is exactly what I decided to do! Bring the beautiful, magical feeling of the "falling leaves" INSIDE! Not just plain, ordinary leaves, though. Beautiful glittery ones! I thought this would give the display more of a "magical" feel. :) I have a location in my foyer/entryway where I like to hang ornaments every year a Christmas time. This is where my "falling glitter leaves" would be. 
   Since the moment I thought of this idea, I have been so excited to complete it so I could show you all! I actually got started that same night.  Imagine my disappointment when I realized I didn't have enough glitter to make more than a handful of leaves... I immediately went online to Hobby Lobby and ordered some {using the current 40% off coupon}. A friend of mine stopped my Hobby Lobby(it is a 45 min drive) a couple of days before it arrived got me a small set of the metallic glitter set seen in the first few pics. I used it until my big Martha Stewart Gemstone Glitter Set arrived. 


What you need:

  • leaves in assorted fall colors
  • wax {I used my Paraffin bath, but wax melted in a double boiler will also work}
  • glitter 
  • fishing line or clear thread
  • white thumbtacks
  • wax paper (or the wax side of freezer paper)



   I pulled my Paraffin bath out and heated it up to melt the wax. {I also gave myself a nice manicure when I was finished that first night:)} You can also use a double boiler to melt the wax. 


   
   After the wax was completely melted, I simply dipped my leaves, one by one, into the wax. 




I sprinkled them with glitter immediately after dipping, and placed them on the wax paper to dry. Be sure to sprinkle your leaves over a plate or a bowl. After applying glitter to the first few leaves, I was able to use a spoon, and scoop up some of the excess glitter from the plate (it really was a lot). It was much easier to apply all of the glitter before the wax dried this way.




   I started out with only these little maple leaves, because they had already started changing colors. After hanging a few I realized this display just didn't have the impact I wanted it to have. Since I was covering the leaves with glitter anyway, I went back outside and got some larger leaves (I think they are oak). They were still green, but after glittering them, you can't tell at all!


   Now that you know how to preserve and glitter the leaves, let me get to the part where I tell you how to hang them. :) It is very easy actually. Just cut off a piece of thread/fishing line to whatever length you want to use to hang your leaves. Tie one end to the stem of the leave. You can either tie it like you are hooking a fishing line or just tie it in a regular double knot. 




   Now take your thumbtack and wrap the other end of your thread around it 3-4 times and just press it where ever you want it to go. My ceiling it textured, so you can't see the little holes at all after you remove them.




   After hanging a few like this, I decided to add more than one leave to each line. I simply dabbed a tiny bit of hot glue to the back of a leaf and held it against my thread. Hot glue was the only kind I had that dried fast, but I am sure there are other glues that you can use that would actually be easier. Be sure you only use a tiny bit. If you use more it will take longer to dry and will melt your wax a little causing your glitter to come off. 




   Just keep hanging leaves to your little heart's content. :) 
Here are a few pics of my completed "Falling, floating" leaves display!
They just spin around and sparkle, so pictures do them no justice at all!  









I'll be linking here:






26 comments:

  1. That is such a pretty idea! I love fall and I love the colors of the leaves. You made them even better with glitter:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous idea and it turned out so great!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are so pretty and what a great idea to hang them .

    Karan

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I am in love with this post! I can just imagine walking through the falling leaves :-) Secondly, those leaves are a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I need some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!! Hi! I am a new follower from the hop.

    Please stop by and follow me at - Free eBooks Daily. (You can even read the ebooks on your computer or smartphone!)
    http://www.freeebooksdaily.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your glittered leaves and thanks for sharing the how to!! Would love if you would come share at Feathered Nest Friday sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!! You are just brilliant. Pinning this to try later :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing quite like fall in the south is there? It is my favorite season. I love all the color changes and the cooler evenings and days. It brings back lots of childhood memories of growing up living in the country and in the south...makes me long to go back to those days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I really should do this to make up for the lack of fall colors here in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I love the colours you chose. I started up a new linky party over at etcetorize.blogspot.com, opens later tonight. It would be great if you stopped by to share this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I *love* this Crystal!! The leaves are so pretty and the glitter makes it kind of magical. What a fun way to decorate for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so neat hanging there all together!!! Thanks for linking this to Fancy This Fridays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an impact this makes! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so fun!! What a great idea!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so pretty!!! I'm not much of a craft person, but these are so gorgeous I just may have to make some. We all love collecting leaves in our house and this just would take it to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I already commented on these, but I just wanted to let you know I featured them on my blog today! Feel free to grab a button :)
    http://artsyfartsymama.blogspot.com/2011/09/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a brilliant idea and so gorgeous! I guess great minds think alike because I made some felt leaves and hung very similar to this! Love it !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a pretty idea! I love how they turned out, especially with the glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun!! Gonna have to get me some glitter!!
    Thanks for linking up to Show & Share!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable idea! thanks for linking up to Vanilla Bean this week! I wasn't sure if you were also wanting to sign up to enter our giveaway as well? If so, don't forget to leave the comments so that yours will have a chance to be chosen on Sunday! Good luck!
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a goregous idea; and I was wondering where you would hang them. That really made the glitter leaves stand out. I am wondering how or if this would work with dried flowers. I suppose I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fall is my absolute favorite time of year and that's why my home is decorated with colorful fall leaves all year around!!! I have leaves stuck on my walls so thanks for the great idea! I'll have to hangs some from my ceiling now too!!! Love this idea!!! :D

    ~Vanessa W

    ReplyDelete