PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Guest Post: Tooth Fairy Passport (& FREE PRINTABLE) from Reannah at {Shaped by Grace}

   Happy Terrific Tuesday! I am so delighted to introduce Reannah from {Shaped by Grace}! I just love the name of her blog! Today she is sharing with us the most ADORABLE way to save those little baby teeth from your little angels! She was also generous enough to share a free printable with us (it can be used even if you do not make the actual passport)! Here's Reannah...


Hello fans of Homemaker in Heels! I am SO happy to be here! I love reading Crystal’s thoughts and seeing all her creative projects!! She is so inspiring! Thanks for having me over Crystal!xo

Here is a little bit about me -- my name is Reannah and I blog over at Shaped by Grace. I write about DIY projects, crafts, and life as a single mama.

FamilyBnW

Today I wanted to share with you a little project I came up with! It’s called a Tooth Fairy Passport!

DSC02255

What is a Tooth Fairy Passport you ask? Well, let me explain! Recently my little man lost a tooth. It just so happened it fell out on a day that he was going over to see his dad and he wanted to take his tooth. I thought, how cool would it be if he had a passport to take his tooth with him – something OFFICIAL that can travel with him wherever he went? {Even if you’re kids don’t share time between two homes, how cool would this passport be to have at home and take on vacation!} :)
So here is how I made this Tooth Passport:


First you will need:

DSC02234
  • an old passport holder or wallet. {You could also cover two pieces of cardboard and make your own pockets.} I used an old passport holder I had.
  • 2 Fabrics of your choice {I used burlap for the cover and the blue fabric for the tooth} :)
  • Scissors
  • Fabric Glue {Or a sewing machine if you’re handy like that!}
  • OPTIONAL: Clear nail polish or hot glue to keep your fabric from fraying, if needed; Ribbon, any embellishments of your choice, and a glue gun to glue them on!
{STEPS}

1. Cut your fabric to fit your passport cover or wallet. Leave just enough around the edges (approx. 1/3-1/2” depending on your fabric) to fold over like a book cover:

DSC02236

2. I then CUT the corners off to make the folds neater:

DSC02237

DSC02238

3. GLUE on your fabric for your cover. (Remember – DO NOT glue on the binding/fold part of your passport holder or wallet. The fabric needs some give so it will be able to open and close.) After gluing the fabric onto the outside of the cover, carefully GLUE down the inside edges and corners. You can use either fabric glue or hot glue. I used hot glue since my passport holder was plastic on the inside.

DSC02239

4. Add any ribbons or borders to the inside of your passport. This is optional, but it does give the project a more finished touch. I used a piece of glittery yellow ribbon and layered a piece of blue twine on top with hot glue:

DSC02259

{I kept my passport pretty simple because my boys are older, but I bet you could go to town on patterns and ribbon and all sorts of embellishments!!}

5. Use the clear nail polish or hot glue to seal the edges of your fabric and ribbon so they don’t fray.

DSC02240

You are now done with the inside of the passport!! {Give yourself a little pat on the back!}

DSC02259 (2)
{I left the burlap a little frayed because I wanted this passport to look a little rugged and almost safari-like for my boys.}

And while the inside is drying, you can now make your tooth pocket for the front cover!

6. Cut out the shape of a tooth in the fabric of your choice. {Or you can let a stencil or your silhouette do it for you!} Until I am lucky enough to have a silhouette, I am a free hand-it sort of girl:

DSC02241

7. Using fabric glue, glue the back of your tooth on the BOTTOM and SIDES only so you create a little pocket! Then glue your fabric tooth to the cover of your passport:

DSC02242

{This little pocket is where the tooth will go!}

DSC02243

And you’re done!!! {That’s another pat on the back!} Woot woot!

DSC02255

DSC02256

BUT WAIT! There’s more…

What goes on the INSIDE?? Well, you can’t have a traveling tooth without some proof of the travels! Sooo, I created a printable "Tooth Travels" punch card! How fun to punch a hole or stamp the card each time your kiddo loses a tooth!

DSC02250

There is also a Tooth Fairy letter format AND a tooth journal included so your child can write how they lost their tooth and keep it in their passport.

DSC02245

OH – and of course, there’s a spot for the money!!

DSC02254

And just for you, because your friends of Crystal’s and Homemaker in Heels, I included the printables here for you for FREE! These can be used even without the passport! I hope you enjoy them!!



Slide1
Slide2

And finally, since it IS October, and just in case you are missing reading about Fall and Halloween, I thought I’d share the inspiration for this post -- my little, homemade Jack-o-lantern:

DSC02135
And he has another tooth loose already! I better go and catch up on punching holes on his passport card!!

Thanks again Crystal for letting me be a guest on your adorable blog! I hope you all have an awesome week! God Bless!

Photobucket
~Reannah
blog~{Shaped by Grace}

   What a clever and adorable way to keep track of those little baby teeth! That is such a smart idea and I love that there is a place to put the money from the Tooth Fairy! I hope you will stop by her absolutely delightful blog {Shaped by Grace} and show her some love! Thank you so much, Reannah, for stopping by! Hope you all have a wonderful day!!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love this idea! I wish I had done it as a kid lol I'm definitely pinning this for my future babes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is FABULOUS! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a genius idea! My Little girl has only just got her teeth, let alone ready to lose them. But when she does...this is just magical. Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I just used these lovely printables to make a passport, too. I posted it today...

    ReplyDelete