PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

DIY Open Frame Necklace Hanger {Guest Post~ AP from ILYMTC}

  Hey everyone! Today AP from I Love You More Than Carrots is sharing a project I know y'all are gonna love! Please make her feel welcome with lots of HiH love! :) Here's AP...

Oh, hi there readers of HiH! My name is AP and I'm the voice behind the blog I Love You More Than Carrots. Often times you can find me over there sharing my many, many {mis}adventures in parenting. The even better news? We're about to welcome our second son which can only mean that ILYMTC is about to get a whole lot funnier and crazier as The Husband and I grow more tired and less sane. A win-win, no? 

Somehow in between the madness of keeping house, keeping a happy husband and keeping my Toddler out of the ER, I find the time to craft. It's no secret that Hobby Lobby is my home away from home and pretty much the third set of words The Toddler ever strung together. Talk about a proud, Mama! 

I'm so grateful that Crystal has allowed me the opportunity to guest post for her today and share this adorable, easy and ultra affordable craft on her blog today! 


I have a confession. I've never really been a fan of "costume" -type jewelry. Perhaps it's less that I've "never been a fan" and more that I've "just never really owned any." Until that is, I stumbled upon Bridier Baubles. Since then, my costume-type jewelry hoard has grown exponentially and I couldn't love it more. 

Suddenly, I quickly realized I had no where to keep it. 

As my pretty baubles began spilling over onto The Husband's side of the dresser in our bedroom, I knew it was time to take action. I immediately turned to Pinterest and quickly became dismayed when all of the DIY tutorials I clicked turned out to be dead-end sources. You know, those pins that don't lead anywhere- other than to a general blog or just a .jpg image. 

What's a girl with too many baubles to do then? Why, take matters into her own hands of course! 

This project was sublimely simple and took less than 45 minutes to complete from start to finish and it was completed for less than $25.00.

Here's what you'll need: 
- 1 large open frame, size dependent on your bauble hoard. You will decide momentarily if you'd like to hang it horizontally or vertically. Frames are currently 50% off a Hobby Lobby so I scooped up this reclaimed wood-type frame for $15. 

- Pattern fabric of your choice to fit the backside of the frame. Once I had secured my desired frame and fabric of my choice, I carried both over to the kind lady in the fabric section of Hobby Lobby and let her know I needed "just enough and then some" to hot glue to the edges of the frame. ($4.00)


- Cup hooks. I purchased a small box of 100 cup hooks in 5/8" size from Home Depot (you should be able to find them at any local hardware store) and they come in various sizes. I used 8 on this particular project but you can use as many as your little heart desires, dependent, of course, on your bauble stash and the size of your frame. ($4.00)


- Hot glue gun and 4 glue sticks. 

Here's what you'll do:


1. Decide whether you want to hang your frame horizontally or vertically.

2. Start by screwing your cup hooks into the underside lip at the top of your frame. Thankfully I chose a frame constructed of a relatively soft material (reclaimed wood). Regardless, this is the toughest and most frustrating part of the project. You'll want to press firmly as you begin screwing in your cup hooks. I used my fingers. You should probably use pliers. In terms of placement, I just spaced them out visually. No real need to measure. You can place them as close or as far apart as you desire. 

{Flip your frame over. Be sure to check where your hanging hooks are on the back of your frame. I had to add my own and did so before gluing the fabric down. You'll also need to cut the fabric away from around the hanging hooks and it's much easier to do this before you begin gluing your fabric down.} 

3. Now, stretch your fabric out across the back of your frame, making sure that the pattern of your choice is framed in the center of the frame. Begin to glue down your fabric by placing a long line of glue across the right side of your frame. Press down your fabric and hold until set. 

4. Next, place a line of hot glue along the bottom of your frame. Press your fabric (while stretching tight) down along the line of hot glue. Hold until set. 

5. Place a line of hot glue along the top of your frame. Press your fabric (while stretching tight) down along the line of hot glue and hold until set. Do you see a pattern here? 

6. Pull your fabric taught, making sure there are no wrinkles or creases anywhere in the frame and place a line of hot glue along the left side of your frame. Press down your fabric and hold until set.

7. Allow project to set for several minutes before hanging.


Voila! In less than forty-five minutes and for under $25, an easy DIY project and home for some of your prettiest baubles. Within minutes of completing the project, I raced upstairs to our bedroom and found the perfect spot behind the door to hang my latest craft. 

With so many different fabric and frame options, this project is customizable to any decor! Feeling extra crafty today? I'd love to see your finished project! Be sure to come visit me and let me know how it turned out! Any questions? Just ask! You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter! 






Crystal, thank you so much for letting me take over your space for the day! It's been a blast!



 
 
Ok, is that fabulous or what?! I've been needing something to organize my necklaces, so I know what I'll be making soon! ;) Thank you SO much for stopping by, AP! :) I hope you will all go check out her fantastic blog, I Love You More Than Carrots! I just know you'll love it! Hope you all have a wonderful day!

7 comments:

  1. Great idea! I would love to do this with my 12 year old granddaughter. This might be a great way to introduce her to crafting as she love jewelry, too. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing this project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chrystal! I just found you on Shane's Coast to Coast map up! I'm a blogger in Albertville and mostly I'm just stunned to find another blogger (and a very successful one at that!) nearby! Thought I'd say hi :)

    Kerrie
    kerriewade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loooove the fabric choice! Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so cute! all my jewelry gets so tangled and this would be such a great solution!
    excited to be your newest follower!
    love,
    elisabeth
    lavitaebella-elisabeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. I love that it does not take that long, and your choice of frame is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this DIY! I will definitely be taking a trip to the store to pick up these materials.

    Marlene
    Info site for Bellevue Janitorial Services company

    ReplyDelete