PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pottery Barn Inspired Bulletin Board

 

  I absolutely love this! It was so easy to make and personalize just by choosing a different fabric print! I think these would make really great gifts! I actually got the idea when I was looking at my Pottery Barn Catalog the other day. I loves they idea of making a bulletin board that also looked decorative. When I saw it, I knew it couldn't be too difficult to make. I was definitely not going to pay $129 for one. That is the price of the board in this picture.
Striped Pinboard, 24 x 32", Distressed Ivory finish
 
   I love this one, but I am a little obsessed with anything damask right now, so of course that is the print I chose to use. I took a 14 x 16 picture frame and removed the glass. I then took the backing and traced around it onto a piece of corkboard. I realized the roll of corkboard I purchased wasn't quite thick enough so I repeated this to have 2 sheets so that it would be thick enough for the thumb tacks.
   One of my favorite parts of this board is the fabric! It only cost me $2! I absolutely LOVE all of the bandanas they have at Hobby Lobby! They have SO many prints to choose from and they start at .99! It is so much easier and cheaper for little projects like this than buying the same print by the yard. I am actually becoming a little obsessed! I have SO many! I will share pictures my growing obsession, I mean, collection, soon. :) 
   Anyways, getting back to the bulletin board, I simply traced around the fabric the same way I did the corkboard and cut it out allowing about an extra half inch around the edges so that I could sortof tuck it around the back part of the frame. I then took the 2 pieces of corkboard and stacked them on top of the backing of the frame. I used a little glue so that the cork would stay in place and not "bubble" out.
   Next,  I placed the fabric on top. Then, I put the ribbon where I wanted it and wrapped it around just a little and taped it in place onto the back. The ribbon is great for pictures!
   Finally, I just framed it and now I have this gorgeous new bulletin board! I spent so much less than a similar one would have cost me at Pottery Barn! I actually love it more! :) If you decide to make one, please share pictures with me! I would love to see them!

I have linked this post at these awesome linky parties!
Thirty Hand Made DaysFancy This

3 comments:

  1. That turned out beautifully! ;) Love the fabric you chose! Thanks for linking to Fancy This Fridays! Can't wait to see your next project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just became a follower, so am catching up on some of your fun stuff. Hopefully I'll send I few readers your way to check out this great memo board once I post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SUPER cute!!

    ~Maria-Isabel
    www.agapelovedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete